Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)

Author: J.R. Johansson
Release date: June 8th 2013
Publisher: Flux Books 
Series: The Night Walkers # 1
Add to your library: Goodreads

It’s been four years since I slept, and I suspect it is killing me.


Instead of sleeping, Parker Chipp enters the dream of the last person he’s had eye contact with. He spends his nights crushed by other people’s fear and pain, by their disturbing secrets—and Parker can never have dreams of his own. The severe exhaustion is crippling him. If nothing changes, Parker could soon be facing psychosis and even death.



Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissful rest that is utterly addictive. Parker starts going to bizarre lengths to catch Mia’s eye every day. Everyone at school thinks he’s gone over the edge, even his best friend. And when Mia is threatened by a true stalker, everyone thinks it’s Parker.


Suffering blackouts, Parker begins to wonder if he is turning into someone dangerous. What if the monster stalking Mia is him after all? (via Goodreads)

Insomnia's synopsis didn't fail to sum up what the story is all about. The simple paranormal feel I thought I'd have turned out to be a little understatement. This gave me creeps in a lot of ways. The cover. The synopsis. And of course, the story itself especially the dreams that Parker had.

Parker doesn't really sleep. It's bad enough to have insomnia but to actually watch other people's dream is actually a little torture. That's why Parker is so different and as far as I'm concerned, I haven't encountered a book that just have the same or sort of the same idea. If I'm missing something then please tell me!

I was just wondering why Parker haven't passed out yet. I sound morbid but if he doesn't get enough sleep, his body will actually give up eventually. We're talking of four years being him in other people's dreams. It's quite long already. So how come he hasn't passed out even once? It also bothers me that being in the era of technology, he didn't even for once tried to search for his condition or capability in the internet. I mean, anyone searches anything in the internet right? He wasn't really that great and smart of a main character here.

I had guessed who Mia's stalker was. But there was this something in here that made me doubt my guess. That's one of the most disturbing things that happened to Parker. And I'm sure to know more of it through the next installment.

Adding to Parker's not so greatness is the feeling I have that there'll be a love triangle set out in the 2nd book. If this comes out as true, I'd be damned! I hate love triangles.

Insomnia is a good 1st installment for the The Night Walkers series. I enjoyed the suspense and the thrill. I can't conclude things since this is just the first book. I'm ought to know more of Parker's capability.


(Many thanks to Flux Books for allowing me to read this through NetGalley.)

1 comments:

This sort of reminds me of that Christian Bale movie, and that was super creepy!
Ugh, a love triangle in the future doesn't sound very promising, but still, I can't blame the author for something she hasn't yet done. Although I really really want to. :)
Lovely review.

REPLY

Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! I'll reply as soon as I can! ;)

The Bookish Confections . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates