Friday, April 12, 2013


Requiem (Delirium, #3)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Release date: March 5th 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Format: Hardcover, 391 pages
Purchase: The Book Depository | Amazon
Add to your library: Goodreads


 They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.
But we are still here.
And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge. (via Goodreads)

*Spoiler-free!*

Honestly speaking, I don't know what to say about Requiem. Just that, it's the ending of a great series. So for the most part, forgive me if I won't make any sense.

Requiem story is told both by Lena's and Hana's POVs. It's funny how these girls are so opposite and yet so alike. Funnier that in Delirium, they were the girls who were so intact despite what other people say. It's just so sad as to how things turned out for them, for their friendship. But even if they grew apart, somehow they grew together separately. I felt that when their POVs have met at one point. You can feel that after everything that happened between the two of them, there is still that little hope and a tiny chance that their friendship was never broken and that somehow, it can still be saved. 

Lena together with her people were out in the Wilds and live as best as they can. There were deaths that made me cry, threat that made me shiver and of course, love that didn't make me swoon. Hahaha! I hope you get why. Of course, both Alex and Julian were there too. Seriously, there were times when I just want to throw my book because I want to slap Lena for doing what she was doing. She was so unstable when it comes to who she loves. She can't even choose for herself. But then, deep inside, she knows her choice. And I know we all do! She just can't say it because someone's going to get hurt. And despite her confusion in her romantic life, she was in no way confused in her plans. Of the resistance. After all, this wasn't just a story about love. It is a story for love.

Huh, I won't end this review without talking about Alex. What Alex did at the near end was so selfless. He obviously is the sole representation of the love that they were fighting for. Hello, there won't be Delirium if Alex didn't fall in love with Lena and vice versa. I just hope that after that last page, Alex is in such a fine place. And oh, if you get the first print edition, you'll read Alex's story there. But it's just short. Still. Must. Read.

Ugh, I forgot to mention The Book of Shhh. It was one of the many things I love about this series. I don't know but maybe because it will be a guilty pleasure to have read it when you live in a world like them. I mean, I bet every one of you would want a peek of that if we live in their world. And it's just so scary you know? But I guess it tells us a lot of more truths than the ones told in our real world. 

I'll never forget this series. Ever. From Delirium till Requiem, we have seen how their world is and it became clearer to me as to how it really is, we have seen how the characters grow for better or for worse, and of course, we have seen how the story was twisted in all places that made it even more appealing (well, to me). 

Ending the Delirium series made me cry. A. Lot. That's how much I love this. I know most people didn't like the way it ended. But I do. I know, weird taste! Haha! But two people never read the same book right? I loved how Lauren Oliver wrote that ending. It was so hopeful and promising. Most authors do not do that because they always give us that concrete ending of what happened. That's a good thing. Since it's an ending of a series. But then, I love it when authors give us a chance to think and somehow make us decipher their last words. It's like, they're giving us a power to believe in what we really do and a chance for us to continue the story we love.






2 comments

I'm glad you loved the ending. I thought it was realistic, but not necessarily satisfying. I still think the first book was my favorite, but I loved Hana's POV in this one.

REPLY

I know! Whenever I think of this series, I still want to have that concrete evidence of what happened to them. :(

REPLY

Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! I'll reply as soon as I can! ;)

The Bookish Confections . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates