Monday, April 15, 2013


Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)
Author: Jamie McGuire
Release date: April 2nd 2013
Publisher: Atria Books 
Format: Paperback, 433 pages
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository  
Add to your library: Goodreads

Finally, the highly anticipated follow-up to the New York Times bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Can you love someone too much?

Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.

In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes
(via Goodreads)

I wasn't really going to read Walking Disaster. I've decided that once I've finished reading Beautiful Disaster. I liked Beautiful Disaster. But it wasn't just my cup of tea, you know. Yet I'm reviewing this one now because I agreed to my friend and I cannot let her down.

Walking Disaster isn't much different with Beautiful Disaster. Most of the scenes were in Beautiful Disaster. That, I think, is the beauty of this book. It made me understand Travis' actions more. It let me see the two sides which made me think realize that Abby and Travis were just torturing each other. Let's be realistic. There are people who are like that in the real world, right? But they're like that because of their past and stuff. I'm just thankful that the two finally got over their issues.

Being inside Travis' head made me know more a lot about him, his family and his hobby. I love the Maddox brothers! They're just so lovely. I mean, having brothers who'll always stand beside you ALL THE TIME is just simply amazing. I really admire their brotherhood. About Travis' hobby, I'll never even blame him for what it is. But still, I'm just annoyed at his hobby. Seriously, just because you're fucked up and you didn't grew up with a Mom doesn't mean you have the right to treat women like they're just toys and dolls. I know! I just don't like guys like that. And even the girls too. Of course, it's their lives and their choices. But I feel like they're losing their own respect for their selves. I just really wished they were thinking more for their own safety and health! And I actually understand why Travis became like that. But I know people who grew up without their Moms! They weren't like that. Oh, it's a really good thing that Abby came into Travis' life. At least, he's not miserable anymore.

What I liked the most in this story was the time wherein Abby and Travis broke up. It was also present in Beautiful Disaster. But in here, I saw how it did affect Travis. Maybe there really is something like being called "lovesick". Because I swear! Those two represent that word perfectly. It really made me laugh when they got back together because they actually realized what they were doing to each other which of course, is a good thing.

I thought I'd see more of Abby's story in here. That's one of my issues with Beautiful Disaster. It just said what her Mom was doing and why her Dad was like that. But it didn't go into deeper details. Really, how can I even understand where Abby is coming from when it wasn't elaborated? Another issue I have is the fact that Abby and Travis seemed so eager for each other. To the point wherein they were just thinking of their selves. They were so self-centered in terms of the story. They didn't even bother to pause and look around their surroundings. I know these were not issues for most of the readers but for me, they were. It just didn't make me "feel".

Despite my issues with this book, I enjoyed reading this. Abby and Travis had their good times like having Toto! They are just so good and perfect for each other. They both are too impulsive. A warning for their crazy actions! If you're a fan of a couple torturing each other, then I guess this one's for you.

And that PROLOGUE and EPILOGUE. Two of the reasons I'm giving this a 3!


3 comments

Seeing the exact same things from a different perspective sounds very intriguing to me. I only wish some other author thought of it since I have no desire whatsoever to read these books. There's just something about them I find off-putting.
Great review, Nina!

REPLY

It's actually fun. But I got bored at times. I'm waiting for some other authors to do this thing. Ha! I'm with you don't worry. I only agreed to my friend for this! Thank you, Maja!

REPLY

I really want to read this book. Generally I am not the biggest fan of reading from the point of view male characters, but I loved Beautiful Disaster so much, that I am definitely up for checking this out. I imagine it could be slightly boring and repetitive at times, but I still want to check it out.

- Camilla
happycompletehome.blogspot.com

REPLY

Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! I'll reply as soon as I can! ;)

The Bookish Confections . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates