Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Release date: March 2nd 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books Children
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository  
Add to your library: Goodreads

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her. (via Goodreads)

I'm not one for cliches. But Hex Hall is such an exception. It was written beautifully that you wouldn't mind even if there were cliches. Yes, that kind of exception.

I've always been drawn to witches, wizards or anything alike. It's my favorite next to faeries. I don't know why but I'm fascinated with all the "magic" stuff they're into. I was sure Hex Hall won't disappoint me seeing the ratings in Goodreads! And it sure didn't. Just by the prologue, Sophie got me already. She is funny as hell. It was so hilarious. She has this sense of humor I bet anyone would fall for.

It wasn't that hard to get lost in the world of Sophie. True, there are cliches. But they weren't hindrances for me to enjoy this book. Even if I wasn't expecting anything big, I really liked it. I still felt that magic all the time. And even if Sophie suck ( BIG TIME ) at being a witch, she was strong and eager to learn. Although I have to say Sophie doesn't have any big action scene here. She was just on the teach-me-how-to-be-a-witch phase anyway. Maybe we'll see how much power she got on the next book. Or not?

The twists in here are not much of a surprise to me. As I said, cliches! But still, I enjoyed it. Though they're not the shocking-kind of twists, they're still entertaining and right just for the book. You'll get good guesses as to what those twists are while the story goes on. It's like Hawkins is giving us hints so we can figure it out on our own.

The characters were good. I liked Sophie the best of course! She really is funny. Though I have to say I hate how naive she can be. Like seriously. She follows this or that. She was really that inexperienced. But that's the thing about Sophie, she grew up little by little. I was able to definitely see her improvement as the story goes on. Of course, I liked Archer but that guy broke my heart. I'm looking out for Cam now. He seems so mysterious and that's attractive in a way.

That ending threw me away. It makes me want to read the next book immediately!

If you're up for some light but funny and hilarious read, then Hex Hall is for you. Disregard the cliches because I'd bet you'll enjoy this as well. Go, read this now! You'll be laughing in no time.





2 comments

I liked this book a lot when I first read it but just couldn't maintain the series. Great review

REPLY

Why? It's not as good as the first book? Thank you!

REPLY

Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! I'll reply as soon as I can! ;)

The Bookish Confections . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates