Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Book of Broken Hearts
Author: Sarah Ockler
Release date: May 21st 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse 
Series: N/A
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository
Add to your library: Goodreads

When all signs point to heartbreak, can love still be a rule of the road? A poignant and romantic novel from the author ofBittersweet and Twenty Boy Summer.

Jude has learned a lot from her older sisters, but the most important thing is this: The Vargas brothers are notorious heartbreakers. She’s seen the tears and disasters that dating a Vargas boy can cause, and she swore an oath—with candles and a contract and everything—to never have anything to do with one.

Now Jude is the only sister still living at home, and she’s spending the summer helping her ailing father restore his vintage motorcycle—which means hiring a mechanic to help out. Is it Jude’s fault he happens to be cute? And surprisingly sweet? And a Vargas?

Jude tells herself it’s strictly bike business with Emilio. Her sisters will never find out, and Jude can spot those flirty little Vargas tricks a mile away—no way would she fall for them. But Jude’s defenses are crumbling, and if history is destined to repeat itself, she’s speeding toward some serious heartbreak…unless her sisters were wrong?
Jude may have taken an oath, but she’s beginning to think that when it comes to love, some promises might be worth breaking. (via Goodreads)

How many times have I been fooled by a synopsis? Either the synopsis is way out of the book's content or the book's content is even deeper than the synopsis itself. So have a guess about where this one falls.

Don't even be fooled, friends. It says that this is about Jude and Emilio's struggle to find their way into love. But with that comes their great responsibility about a lot of things. Jude's ailing father, her sisters' weird paranoia about the Vargas brothers and the oath she has taken when she was just, guess what, twelve years old.

I wouldn't really blame her sisters. They had their reasons. But for them to actually let their youngest sister do that oath is a little out of line. And hello! It was just about boys, boys and boys. Why do boys have this big role in a girl's life? Boys, you must be so flattered that girls really do consider you important in their lives.

Jude and Emilio's love was so pure and out of their plans. When it's love, it's love. It just happens when the right person is right there. It's just so swoony, you know. I swear. Emilio's such a charmer. I love that guy. He totally made me believe that he is nothing like his brothers. His character has this depth that I cannot even explain. He totally made me swoon. That's all.

I really don't know what's supposed to be the center of this novel. Whether it's the ailment of Jude's father or the growth of Jude and Emilio's love. Maybe both. It was like the ailment of Jude's father was the sole reason that Jude and Emilio even had the chance to meet. Also, because of her father's ailment, the two were tested a lot of times. Like how to handle this or that. Seriously, I can't count how many times I cried because of her father. It was so realistic. And his ailment is the one I'm actually totally scared of! Oh shoot, it's even my Dad's birthday today. I'm sending all my prayers to God that he wouldn't have that kind of ailment! Don't worry, I'm including all you guys in my prayer.

Don't get me wrong now, I truly love this book. It's just that, there's something about Jude that puts me off. I've been thinking about if for days but I cannot point it out! It's like I know her but at the same time, I don't. I guess I just didn't feel much of her character's deep feelings. I felt her and I didn't feel her. Am I making sense?

If you actually think that this is one of those light contemporary reads, you're totally wrong. This isn't even light. If you also think that this is just a book about broken hearts, then you're wrong again. It's a lot more than that. It has a deep feel that will absolutely make you feel. It's just so different over-all. Be ready to shed a few tears!


(Many thanks to Simon Pulse for allowing me to read this through Edelweiss.)

Hey, there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! I'll reply as soon as I can! ;)

The Bookish Confections . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates